Re: [NTLK] Connecting

From: John Skinner (john_at_johnskinner.net)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 23:13:05 PDT

On 9/29/03 10:07 PM, "Sean Kearney" <sean_at_invisiblelearning.com> wrote:

> I have a 2100 upgrade and an eMate 300 (and a 130 on the way) and
> cannot figure out how to connect any of these devices to the desktop. I
> have the original serial cables with dongle and a keyspan serial-to-usb
> adapter (with drivers installed) but have no clue about how to connect
> to my iMac running OS 9.2.
> I even bought the recommended Proxim PCMCIA card hoping to go wireless
> once I install the proper packages. So far, no dice.

Try some of what Woody was talking about, AFTER you read up on the Newton
FAQ about how to connect to your Newton.

You can find the FAQ at...
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

Can you use the Keyspan to connect to anything else (non-Newton, like
printer, modem) I have a Keyspan serial adaptor and a Newton 2100 and may be
able to help you troubleshoot a little bit, if you still have problems.

After you can successfully connect and install packages on your Newton:

You can find a list of ethernet drivers for the Newton at...
http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/

Newton 130s will not do ethernet.

Just make sure that you have the right drivers/software for each of your
different Newtons (2000U, emate300). They all don't run the same Newton OS
and will require specific software.

And, finally, for Wireless help see...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ndutyme/newton/howto/802.11b/802_11b_Newton.ht
ml