[NTLK] What I would do if I could afford the rights to the Newton...(was; How is the Newton a Mac?)

From: NewtonMP - Paul Curtis (paul.curtis_at_newtonmp.com)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 15:56:15 PST

Ikem, you're absolutely right about the Newton being ours, but as for the
Newton never being sold, you're absolutely wrong - everything material is
for sale.
I would like to purchase the intellectual and property rights to keep our
green friends.

Most importantly, I want to be able to produce fresh units and service parts
to keep the MP from eventually going extinct from exhausting the limited
supply.

One thing that I'm not so enamored with is producing a "new" Message Pad
with color and this and that and the other thing. I would like to take the
core or soul and add a more modern set of communication protocols as
chipsets (Ethernet, TCPIP, Bluetooth, WIFI, etc.), a faster processor and
larger amounts of ram and updates to the NOS (date fix for example). I think
anything more would stray too far from what Newton is; I'm not concerned
about what it could've been. Well maybe a color screen, something like...
Green would be OK. :-)

Let's face it, we all speak of how superior our MP's are - for a reason. Let
best be good enough!

MHO,

Paul Curtis
MP 120 v2.0/MP 130/MP 2100
Go Green! Go White! Michigan State Spartans