[NTLK] Drivers? (was Re: VGA card for the Newton)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 00:43:52 PDT

>I was very fortunate to come across a couple of VGA output PCMCIA cards
>recently. I haven't tried them yet, but I am hoping they will work. I
think it
>would be really cool to use my Newton for business presentations
(Assuming I'll
>find work at some point in the foreseeable future).

Nice idea... And "a couple", too, eh?! What make are they?

>Is there a specific software package I need
>to use one of these cards, or are they simply plug-and-play?

You'd need drivers. There's two model VGA cards that have been explicitly
marketed for the Newton, they had drivers.
   Check the archive for reports by users, contact them and kindly ask for
drivers. I don't think the drivers are up at UNNA - this may be one
http://www.unna.org/unna/drivers/other/ezshowca.pkg, but there's no
documentation to it. Might be it works on your cards, might not be.

I've always wondered about this - there's been more than just those two
"official" Newton VGA cards on the market, but seems nobody ever tried
using any of the other cards or checking if the drivers work. That's a
really interesting experiment - pls. report back on the board (maybe also
to the Wiki, for good measure).

DJV.

P.S.: Paging all VGA-card savy folks!

I've created a VGACard page at the Wiki, maybe you could fill in a summary
and links to reviews/documentation on the Newton-compatible VGA cards.
There's also a wishlist page for drivers for more VGA cards,
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/VGACardDrivers . Any
addition/comment/takers appreciated.