Re: [NTLK] [OT] Virus attacks on NTLK/Newton-related mailaccounts

From: Len Cole (leonard.cole_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 18:47:50 PDT

I wish I could remember where I read it, but in an article about computer security and "cyber-cops" an FBI official was quoted as saying that their anti-cyber crime unit used OS X G5's for three reasons, robustness, relatively little virus threat and the ability to emulate [nearly] every micro OS being used.

He was also quoted as saying that of the three predominant micro OS's being used, (Windows, *nix and Mac "classic" OS) Mac's classic OS was the most difficult to extract deleted files from and gave FBI agents the most fits. And as far as getting info from encrypted files on an Apple, forget it. He also said that getting files from the Windows file systems was like reading an open book.

It was an interesting article.

(As far as the cource of the article is concerned, I may have read it on c|net's daily TechRepublic news feed, on an Apple eNews email or on one of the daily Mac news sites. I really don't remember, though I'm certain it was in the past 60 days.)