Re: [NTLK] OT: a few things

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 18 2004 - 10:58:45 PDT

On Apr 18, 2004, at 6:25 AM, Rowan Pope wrote:

> Oh yes, i don't know how much this ATA driver is, but providing it
> isn't
> more than the going price of a Newton itself, it's worth it. What a
> pain
> to code and check and what other options are there? Laws of supply and
> demand. I think it's fantastic someone is doing that. Too often old
> gear
> is one driver away from being usable, but no one writes that driver

Hi, Rowan!

I couldn't agree more!

Although I have to comment, that your quicktime issue is really only a
"player" issue and not a fundamental issue with the technology itself.

I also strongly agree about the combo device. I think in the next
18months many people will be using cells in place of ipod. As they get
better storage capacity (1G+) and better audio out.

I certainly would strongly consider an Apple branded
Cell/ipod/PDA(another one that is :~). Although I must say I haven't
seen any really great PDA/Cell designs to date. Personally I think a
separate headset would be required for this idea. Perhaps a Bluetooth
headset that is a cell, and a Pda/ipod with BT built in to control it?
Anyhow it seems likely those incredible engineers/designers at Apple
could make something that would be highly desirable.

I think they could license the OS for this device as per iPod(Pixo).
The real reason $teve stated when he canned Newton was that he didn't
feel that Apple could afford to develop two OSs at the same time. Of
course this is BS, since he could have just highered Paul and Eckhart
and Victor, and David!

Marty