[NTLK] OT: a few things

From: Rowan Pope (xv5080_at_ihug.com.au)
Date: Sun Apr 18 2004 - 06:25:25 PDT

Hello everyone...

Saw the Newton years ago but never got one. Have since had (and still
have) Sharp PC2100X, Psion 5mx (two), Sony Ericson P800. Just picked up an
MP110 and it reawakened newton thoughts!

I have an eMate on the way and a 2100 also. :)

Will be doing the crystal speed mod and certainly audio in/out mods too.
I'm assuming emate being a 710 25mhz is too slow to do mp3? Anyway...

Someone mentioned Quicktime. <RANT> I don't like quicktime. I like Macs,
but i wouldn't want to be without my PC ever. I have both though. A good
quality PC is reliable and well, the arguments are pointless; it's a
personal thing and i like both PCs and Macs (and other things.) Ok.. so i
like computers. ANYWAY.... i dislike quicktime. Why? Because as a 'free'
player when it isn't registered you cannot play back movies full screen!
Nothing else is like that, it's terrible. I don't want to see edges of
desktop and curvy apple bars framing my movie, i want to see the movie. I
only use it for demo videos downloaded anyway so i wouldn't buy the
thing... </RANT>

Apple have their own agendas and regularly do Odd things. What i will say
though is whatever bizarre, crazy apple like things they do, they work.
Apple has stayed in the mainstream from the 70's till now, without really
embracing Microsoft very much and thats a pretty tricky thing to achieve.
Think of all the Netscapes of the world etc.

I have emailed apple on the subject of now is the time for a
PDA-NEWTON-IPOD-MOBILE PHONE do it all thingimy whatsit, and really, they
need to do it. They could do it very well. Mac people wanting a PDA have
to buy a non-apple product! That should worry apple! I don't use OSX, but
what about all the i series apps? a portable device to sync to those?
Maybe it's too much development resource to expend into making another os
that can be compatible with OSX... ahh, but OSX is BSD based! COuldn't
they ditch the nifty OSX gui, make a lightweight lean streamlined version
for a tablet style device? i doubt they'll bother.

What else...

Oh yes, i don't know how much this ATA driver is, but providing it isn't
more than the going price of a Newton itself, it's worth it. What a pain
to code and check and what other options are there? Laws of supply and
demand. I think it's fantastic someone is doing that. Too often old gear
is one driver away from being usable, but no one writes that driver. If
you like software, pay the maker money to say thanks. :) (which is why i
wouldn't register/purchase quicktime... ewww)

Girlfriend is going to uni soon. I'm going to hassle her into getting an
eMate. What else has keys and that kind of battery life and lets you draw
notes if needed? Nothing that i'm aware of. Not one electronic Sausage*

One question (if anyone has read this far)

Apparently the newton connect stuff works under windows xp i've been told?
I couldn't install it, it brought up a message about install.ex_ not
found, but it's there. Is this a known issue? Does it work under XP?

Rowan

PS
* not one electronic sausage is some refference to a particular part of
Douglas Adams hitch hikers guide to the galaxy. Which book i cannot guess.
The point of this email has temporarily escaped the chroniclers mind. :)