[NTLK] Spare MP 2100 has a cracked "glass" screen surface Options?

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 06:16:13 PDT

Hello everyone:

I recently purchased a "broken" bare-bones MP 2100 for twenty bucks, shipped.
I'm not an IT guy -- I just wanted to study the internals without having to
worry about rendering the unit inoperable. Also, I was considering using the
front casing as a replacement for the cracked casing on my regular MP 2100.

I am contemplating putting a headphone jack in the space next to the IrDA
unit. I just have to figure out how to wire the circuit (It's been years since
I've played with Radio Shack project circuit kits) so that the speaker will
work until the headphone jack is plugged in. I know it's simple -- I'll get it.
:O|

This morning, I was sitting at the breakfast table drinking coffee and
staring at the broken Newton. I thought, "Hey, I never even tried to power it up."
I grabbed a spare battery, turned the switch, and lo and behold, the damn
thing worked! Of course, the glass {?} screen is broken, but the images on the
screen were intact. The screen does not respond to the stylus input, but I
figure that's due to the cracked screen cover surface.

Is the glass/plexiglass/whateverthehellitis screen cover surface replaceable?

Should I opt for an entire screen replacement? Could I replace the screen
cover surface with a thin sheet of plexiglass? Could I remove the cracked
screen surface material and just slap a screen protector over the screen? Can I
plug it into the 'Net and hack into NORAD? Suggestions? It only cost me twenty
bucks, and I have a spare battery tray, so if I got it working, I could
donate it to a friend.

Thanks in advance.

Matt K.