Re: [NTLK] Problem Installing NCU

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 12:14:57 PDT

On Apr 20, 2004, at 12:05 PM, Robert Benschop wrote:

> On 20-apr-04, at 20:34, Dave Abramowitz wrote:
>>> Given this, I presume that using the connection from
>>> MacOS X will be impossible and that indeed seems to be the case.
>> Not so. I run NCU and NTK in Classic using the KeySpan driver.
>
> Just to make this absolutely clear, if you can use the Keyspan booted
> from OS 9 it should work in Classic, but it WON'T work in OS X proper.
> So it's either active in OS9 or Classic (so you can use it in this way
> while booted in OS X) or it's active on OS X.

Actually there was a report last week by someone who said he had
tricked the keyspan adapter into working in both OSX and in classic, by
unplugging it and replugging it at the appropriate time (whenever that
is).

Clearly this wouldn't work if an OSX app was actively using it.

I guess the way to test this would be to unplug the keyspan, start up
NCU in classic, and then plug it in (presumably BEFORE ncu gets to
checking the serial ports).

Of course the keyspan doesn't support localtalk, so you need to use a
straight up serial connection (NCU prefs).

Marty