Re: [NTLK] Spare MP 2100 has a cracked "glass" screen surface Options

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 13:40:29 PDT

> Is the glass/plexiglass/whateverthehellitis screen cover surface
> replaceable?

Yes. The screen assembly consists of three parts that can be separately
replaced:

1) Touchscreen. Consists of a foil and a glass pane that can't simply
be replaced by another glass pane because it is covered with material
that is necessary for the digitizer to work.

2) The LCD display with electronics. Can't be separated from each other.

3) The backlight.

> Should I opt for an entire screen replacement?

Would be the easiest way.

> Could I replace the screen cover surface with a thin sheet of plexiglass?

Sure. But it the touchscreen wouldn't work...

Sorry ;-)

Unless you can cover it with the same material as the original glass pane,
which is next to impossible, this wouldn't work.

> Could I remove the cracked screen surface material and just slap a
> screen protector over the screen?

Yes. But the touchscreen would still not work.

> Can I plug it into the 'Net

Yes. After installing a couple of drivers and getting an ethernet or WLAN
card that will work in the Newton.

Cheers

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de