Re: [NTLK] Newton Book or Newton Paperback, which is better

From: Hendrik Lipka (hendrik.lipka_at_gmx.de)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 08:19:34 PDT

> Well, don't forget that both HP and IBM's version of java are still
> customized for their OS's

They must be customized - the JVM is the abstraction layer between the OS
and the java program. But for the Java program itself, all JVM are the
same.

> and thus pure java won't run correctly on either
> of these platforms. So really, java is write once, run on Sun or Windows
> (courtesy of the courts), then wait for IBM & HP to patch or create your own
> patches...

No. I'm a fulltime Java programmer, and we are deploying our software to
Windows, Sun and HP - and there are no changes to the code for these
platforms (except where you rely on OS features like calling external
programs).
If have also used both the Sun and IBM JDKs on Linux for my own software,
and no changes were required to run the programs. I have even reports of my
software running with the kaffee VM and GNU classpath.

So, Java is really WORA if done right.

hli

--
Møøse trained to mix concrete and                                 Hendrik Lipka
sign complicated insurance forms                           hendrik.lipka_at_gmx.de