Re: [NTLK] About the list (was: [ANN] TON vacation)

From: Berthe M. Willumsen (bmw_at_biobase.dk)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 04:39:58 PDT

>On 26-apr-04, at 23:34, Allan Ngaparu wrote:
>>> Rich Wrote: among other things..
>>> I feel like this is less of a community than it was 3-4 years ago.
>> Well I wasn't on this list three or four years ago but a better
>> community of
>> technical expertise, help, support and friendship would be hard to find
> > anywhere else.
>
>Seriously, personal attacks seem to have gotten worse while respect for
>oldies seems to have gone out of the backdoor.
>Seen the fact that Rich probably got the most abuse of any of us at the
>time the list moved from Planet Newton to Victor/Unna I can understand
>that he's more sensitive for it.
>
>As a whole it might be a reminder for all of us to play nice and at all
>times and to try to keep the OT a bit within reasonable limits.

I imagine the OT topics and the enthusiasm around them comes from a
feeling that people are 'talking' in a setting where they believe
there is a lot of common interests .... That it comes from being
together and feeling secure, leading to an interest in chit-chatting
in addition to the serious questions. And some of the posts and
remarks (from serious Newt people) really in a wonderful way
encourages that (weddings, births, stolen Newts, dogs etc).

In your terms Robert, I am very new to the list. Of course I also get
frustrated every so often, but most of the time the 'real' questions
get helpful replies, so that part is not so bad. What I hear you say
is that it gets diluted by all the chatting, and that I realize, is
negative to some people. Me too, sometimes of course.

However, as with everything else, nothing is perfect, and all in all
I really enjoy reading and following.

--
Berthe
Denmark, MP2100