[NTLK] Newton Paperbacks and NewtWiki

From: K. J. Hallenius III (iluvatar_at_fusemail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 10:53:34 PDT

On Apr 24, 2004, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:
I have completed my first attempts at providing Newton Paperback
documents 'n my (incomplete and unfinished) second version of the Alex
Catalogue:
   http://infomotions.com/alex2/
---end quoted portion---

This is great, Eric! I am working on a Master's Degree in the Great Books
of the Western World, and it just so happens that one of the texts that
you've provided is one of my primary texts: Sir Francis Bacon's Essays. I
appreciate your work, and will install it on my eMate as soon as I get it
up and running again.

I've found in my own studies that NewtWiki is the perfect way to capture
my thoughts and link them together, on a very handy portable computer
(eMate) that I can take to the library or use while sitting on the couch.
(Please note that I am speaking about the program that runs on the Newton
itself and allows you to easily create a wiki for local use, not the
excellent reference WikiWikiNewt over at UNNA.)

http://www.narcosislabs.org/NewtWiki/index.php?page=NewtWikiWiki
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

For my studies, Having primary texts is key, since the method of a Great
Books program is to use only original texts to discover the ideas within
and relate them to one another, tracking the dialectical discussion
through the centuries. Hyperlinking is critical to doing this well,
because the ideas packed into a paragraph can take several pages to
critically examine, and that's why NewtWiki (or a desktop equivalent) is
so helpful.

But, as I said, the primary text is the starting point. Thanks for helping
to make the Newton supremely useful, Eric!

-Ken Hallenius
Portland, OR