Re: [NTLK] Newton Web Browsers (old topic)

From: Bruce E. Durocher II (bedii_at_qwest.net)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 10:55:02 PDT

On Apr 28, 2004, at 8:02 AM, Goodwin, Greg wrote:

> LUNAR RANGER... TAKE ME TO THE MOON AND CRASH LAND ME THERE!
> I popped in Lunur Ranger, and I swear, if that was not so buggy and
> used so much space, I would stick with it. Simply beautiful! And to
> date the best viewer of moving gifs. But it would push the enveloping,
> bring in frames and tables, and graphics and on my VGA screen I thought
> I was looking at a black and white screen on a Macintosh.. and then...
> boom!! It would crash. Finally, the loops you have to go through to
> add a book mark reminded me why I removed this would be great browser
> in
> the past.

        I ended up deleting it after it crashed and scrambled my memory card
in the process. I tried sending an e-mail to the gent who was listed
as having compiled the most recent version to see if he had heard
anything further about the source being released, but no reply. (Of
course I've now got a mental block on his name...) I'm very happy I
bought NewtScape, and would recommend it as a good choice to anyone
that's out there looking for a Newton browser, but if Luna Ranger were
less buggy I'd shift most of my browser work to it and save NewtScape
for dealing withe HTML files in the Newton. I'd even contribute some
cash to a pool to send to the programmers who are in charge of Luna
Ranger now if it would get them working on it actively--I have to visit
enough sites that have "fancy do-dads" there that Courier isn't really
an option for me.

Bruce E. Durocher II
bedii_at_qwest.net