[NTLK] Connecting to MP2100 with Lucent Silver

From: David Neale (david.neale_at_pandora.be)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 04:15:39 PDT

I'm trying to make a connection from an iBook under Panther via an
Airport to an MP2100, fitted with a Lucent Orinoco Silver PCMCIA card.

When the card is inserted, the slip for the card shows that it is
recognised. The driver is installed: LucentWaveLAN:Noguchi Version
1.05. The setup for the card has been carried out, as indicated at
http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm

When Dock is set to "Connect via TCP/IP, "Connecting to the
internet..." is displayed for a short time, and then Dock TCP/IP shows

"NIE Error:
Problem connecting. DHCP server unavailable or unable to configure this
device."

(using "Connect via TCP/IP.)

When Dock is set to "Connect via AppleTalk" (AppleTalk checked in Sytem
Preferences of MacOS) and either "Connect to Airport" or "Connect to
other computer" is selected in Dock, the message "Select a Mac OS
computer" nd "Looking for Mac OS computers…" appears, but none is found
(waited for five minutes!).

In a NewtonTalk message from 2002, John Skinner suggests to Chris
Harding, "You also might try to freeze/remove any other ethernet card
drivers that you may have." I'm not sure I have any (bought the MP a
couple of weeks ago "as is" and have no idea what I should look for),
but how does one "freeze" specific drivers?

Help!

David