Re: [NTLK] Why not maximize your Newton experience? {re: using earlier models}

From: b a silver (basilver_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 07:52:21 PDT

Do really think ANY Newton use is about maximizing your functionality?
There are much better Palms, Clies, ,PocketPCs, and even cell phones for that. I have a PB520 and 540c, an SE/30 - heck, even an old IIcx! Also various Palms, a couple of Psion 5x's, an NEC MobilePro winCE machine, a QNX OS Audrey . . . the list goes on.

It isn't about money. I like making old things work. I just picked up an MP100, my first Newton, because it was $10 US. $100 for a 2x00 model to introduce myself to the hobby is just too much, but if down the road I think it would be fun/useful, I might pop for it. In the meantime, I want to make my MP100 useful as a book reader until my 3-year old is old enough to not break it - then it is his for fun and as an intro to computers/PDAs.

Anyway, right now, I like the form factor of the old MP100 over-and-above the 2x00 series - smaller, and almost identical to the Palm IIIs, albeit bigger. In fact, the flat stylus of the MP100 reinforces the perception that it is a remedial Palm - something you use in kindergarten.

As an aside, regarding my first impressions - the MP100 was totally useless until I put Grafitti on it. The character recognition of the original deserved all the jokes written about it, from my experience. I'm sure other people can make it work, but not me. With Grafitti, it works great.

Anyway, thanks for a great group.

Bubba

Matt K wrote:
Hello Everybody:
Occasionally, I read postings from people who are still using the earliest
versions of the Newton (100, 120, 130). My question is WHY these folks have not
stepped up to using the MP 2X00 models? I would tend to think that the
reduced functionality of earlier Newts would just be too frustrating to deal with.
Plus, it's not like they're very expensive to acquire. Money is tight for
me, yet I have been able to get a few MPs for friends and family members. Break
down and upgrade, you cheapskates! :Oo