Re: [NTLK] Introductions and Cigarette Modems

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 00:29:29 PDT

On Aug 13, 2004, at 3:24 AM, Dan wrote:

> But for sheer portabity, the
> black "cigarette" modem is hard to beat.

Portability, simplicity and reliability! I used that modem for about
three years, on a daily basis, to check my AOL email. In fact, both my
wife and I used it, and it never failed (excpect the battery issue I
mentioned in another post) And I'm not joking when I say on a daily
basis. At the time, we spent probably 80% of our time on the road,
traveling, daily downloading our email, and replying. I was on NTLK
most of that time. ;-) Almost a year of that time was with NOS 1.3, and
the rest with 2.0. It was flawless. In fact, looking back, I had far
fewer problems with that modem and AOL than I have had ever since with
NIE and internal modems. Strange. . .

But in any case, it was a good modem. Like others, however, I wonder if
you can even find an ISP that will let you connect at 2400 baud any
more. I doubt AOL does, even. . .

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland