Re: [NTLK] Newbie Newtie

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 16:24:28 PDT

The way Apple designed that dongle port, it is not
very easy to repair...or reinforce. The very design of
the thing relegates it to eventual failure. Plus,
there isn't very much room surrounding the port on the
main board to allow much reinforcing. Even if you
epoxy the thing to the board, there really isn't that
much room to put enough epoxy on the port to keep it
from moving again...And, this is an unfortunate Apple
thing that is very common place...weird connectors
that no one else uses, poorly implemented...
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com> wrote:

> > Of course, my preference is to get a SER-001 and
> keep the Newt!!! ;-)
>
> Agreed, I was just saying if you have a damaged port
> it can be fixed
> (probably cheaper to just buy another newt but it is
> possible at least),
> or if you want, reinforced. Which is not a bad idea
> actually because
> there are some things (like a audio dongle) that
> can't be used on a
> serial port. Granted it won't be used near as much
> as will a serial
> port (unless you like to have books read to you via
> audio dongle and
> earphone). ;)
>
> -Dan

=====
"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision."
 - Benjamin Franklin