Re: [NTLK] Powerbook and Newton

From: Brett Hutley (brett_at_hutley.net)
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 00:35:23 PDT

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 04:12:54AM +0200, Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail wrote:
> In your opinion, what is the best PowerPC Powerbook to compliment the
> 2x00?
>
> I have been thinking of getting a powerbook to accompany my 2100, my
> mind is constantly changing.

I bought a 12" G4 about 8 months ago, my first ever Apple computer besides
the Newton. I'd sworn off Apple when they killed the Newton - I'd bought
a MP120 and then a 2000 when they came out, and was so angry when they
discontinued the product that I vowed I'd never buy an Apple product
again.

I come from a Unix/Linux/Windows background and I wasn't sure what
to expect from their notebooks, which is why I went for the cheapest
powerbook I could buy.

Well, I've got to say - I'm a convert! I recently upgraded to the latest
17" G4, which has a great screen, but is pretty bulky to carry around.
It integrates well with the Newton. I use a wireless card in my Newton
and sync using Escale and NewtSync on the p/b.

If I had to choose again, I'd probably buy the 15" G4 instead. It's not
as bulky as the 17" and still has a great screen. If you want a more
portable computer, then get the 12".

My 0.02 AUD = 0.0143 USD at current market rates...

--
Brett Hutley [MAppFin,CISSP,SANS GCIH]
mailto:brett_at_hutley.net