Re: [NTLK] Powerbook and Newton

From: Martin Howard (mvhoward_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 13:37:50 PDT

On Aug 19, 2004, at 10:20, Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail wrote:

> It works without a hitch, are there limitations while using classic,
> for example are there some apps that simply do not work in classic?

If there are, I haven't discovered them. I use the Newton Connection
Utilities on a TiBook running OS X 10.3.4 using Classic (which I guess
boots up 9.2). I do backups and sync to Claris Organizer, which I also
run under Classic. I do most of my work in OS X, so I'm using Classic
to backup, sync, and transfer info from the Newton to the TiBook and
back again.

> Finally, I guess I would need a cable to link the two.

Yes, or...

> I just received my 3com card ethernet PCMCIA card and cable compatible
> with the newton as verified in an earlier post. Can I make a connection
> of some type already via ethernet?

...run AppleTalk over Ethernet. I backup/sync my Newt over WiFi, using
an Orinoco Classic Gold card, the WaveLAN/IEEE drivers, and AppleTalk.
It's configured using DHCP and gets its IP address from an Airport
Express node, which is what the TiBook does too. Works like a charm.
Should be even simpler using wired Ethernet (no WiFi configuration to
worry about).

M.