Re: [NTLK] More than one serial port

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 01:04:43 PDT

The Newt provides serial port 0, 2 and 3.
On the NIC port the channels 0 and 3 are available.

You need to know and to take into account that channel 3 is not driven by a
line driver (there is a direct connection to the controller) and that this
port is routed in parallel to the internal serial slot as well.
In order to select between internal and external use, there is a
InternalModemSelect signal that indicates who is using the port (High -
internal use / LOW external use).

Like stated below using an internal serial card would be the easiest thing
to do.
Of course you can also adapt to the NIC port and use the port 3 from
external.

There is a third (theoretical) solution: the Newt provides a very simple
keyboard asynchroneous serial interface (Tx, Rx, no handshake) on the
internal serial slot. But I have no idea whether the Newt Keyboard will work
on such interface or not.

Maybe it would be an idea for Mr. PCBman to check whether the SER-001 can
use port 3 instead of port 0 as it is now. This would give us a second
serial port by using the SER-001 AND the dongle (harwired to port 0).
But honestly I do not know how the port 3 is supported from the OS...

Cheers
Johannes