Re: [NTLK] FDTI usb

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 09:30:38 PST

On Dec 6, 2004, at 7:22 AM, Jake Bordens wrote:
<snip>
> Looking at the pictures of the inside there got me to thinking that a
> FDTI chip (the same one that keyspan uses I think) and a mini USB
> connector could probably be wedged inside there somewhere and exposed
> the ouside in the little knockout next to the IO port.
>
> Anyone tried anything along these lines? I may place an order for an
> FDTI chip and a USB mini connector and see where it takes me. I think
> Dontronics sells everything that would be needed.

Doesn't seem like a good idea, since there is no driver software for
this on Newton, and the Mac/PC end of most Newton connection programs
don't know to look for USB. You could perhaps use exisiting drivers on
the mac or PC if you could make you hack appear as a clone of another
working USB to serial dongle (ie keyspan)...

Marty