Re: [NTLK] connecting to pc

From: paul oberman (poberman_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Dec 26 2004 - 15:54:05 PST

Martin Joseph wrote:
>On Dec 26, 2004, at 12:57 PM, paul oberman wrote:
>

>>paul oberman wrote:
>>

>>>i just looked at the cable on j & k. my pc doesn't have a 9 pin
>>>connector it is larger and intended for a printer. do you think that
>>>there is an adapter? the manufacturer just lists it as a serial port.
>>>
>>>doesn't anyone make a usb to rs-422 converter for the pc?
>>>

>>the printer connector says that it is serial. i thought serial was
>>serial. i know that the RS-422 miniDin8, on the mac can be used for
>>apple talk or printer and it is a serial.
>>
>>i have a really new computer and this is the only serial i have. if
>>this doesn't work, i don't know what to do.
>>

>If Your PC is new it has USB...
>
>I have never seen a PC with a serial printer port. They ALWAYS have
>parallel printer ports in my experience. Of course it's still possible
>I suppose, but MOST unlikely... If it's a male DB-25 (dshaped with 25
>pins) it's a parallel port.
>
>Look for USB to PDA adapters Like this(hopefully not mangled):
>
>http://www.sfcable.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?page=SC/PROD/72/UB30-40
>

>You will still need the PC to Newton cable FYI...
>
>Marty

it sounds like that is the plug you are describing. this is a male 25
pin printer port. the manufacturer describes it as a serial port.
??????? hmmmmm. here is what it looks like"

http://www.pauloberman.com/serialplug.gif

my guess is that it is a parallel serial port. i don't know it that it
a conflict of terms or not. i would think not considering a mac serial
RS-422 miniDin8 jack is also a printer port.

if that is the case, i can buy the adapter, which Woody Smith has and i
don't need to clog up my usb ports. still need the newton pc connection
cabe, though. anyone have one?

paul