Re: [NTLK] Best 3Com X-jack Ethernet Card?

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 15:10:43 PST

On Monday, February 2, 2004, at 08:59 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> From: Norman Palardy <palardyn_at_shaw.ca>
> The X jacks were just so tiny that people often forgot to lock them
> back in place and then stuff the laptop in a case and broke them off,
> caught them on something, etc.

I am not super certain of the utility of X-jack PC Cards, think about
it. With a card that needs a dongle, the dongle is also (with the 3com
589 cards) the RJ45 cable.

If you get an x-jack card, you are also packing around a cable- a short
patch cable in case you get somewhere and they had a spare jack, but
not a spare cable for you to use. You're still packing a (patch) cable
around, and it's not as pliable as the very flexible dongle cables so
doesn't mush into as small a space as the dongle.

Right?

Neglecting ethernet cards with the short dongle that has a port on it,
which is just silly, then you need to pack around a dongle PLUS a RJ45
patch, like for a Global Villate Platinum modem/ethernet combo cards
(NO, no Newton driers for this, just MacOS), since most people here get
the 3com 589 series, as that has Newton drivers.

(I've all three types of card, this is what I find based on my use and
the places I go...)

Using a dongle is not the worst way to go.

Brian

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html