Re: [NTLK] Best 3Com X-jack Ethernet Card?

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 17:19:25 PST

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 06:10:43PM -0500, Brian wrote:

> On Monday, February 2, 2004, at 08:59 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
> wrote:
>
> > From: Norman Palardy <palardyn_at_shaw.ca>
> > The X jacks were just so tiny that people often forgot to lock them
> > back in place and then stuff the laptop in a case and broke them off,
> > caught them on something, etc.
>
> I am not super certain of the utility of X-jack PC Cards, think about
> it. With a card that needs a dongle, the dongle is also (with the 3com
> 589 cards) the RJ45 cable.
>
> If you get an x-jack card, you are also packing around a cable- a short
> patch cable in case you get somewhere and they had a spare jack, but
> not a spare cable for you to use. You're still packing a (patch) cable
> around, and it's not as pliable as the very flexible dongle cables so
> doesn't mush into as small a space as the dongle.

They're also replacable at any computer store, big-box retailer, and
even some larger drugstores. Dongles, whether 6" short ones or 6' long
ones, are not. Lose that hunk and your network card is a dead chunk of
plastic and metal, for several weeks if you can replace the dongle or
forever if you can't.

--
Technical points aside, you could probably beat someone to
death with a Newton if you had to.  Try that with a Palm Pilot!