Re: [NTLK] Bad guys use PCs

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 14:24:08 PST

This "good guy", "bad guy" thing depends on your
perspective!
In science and technology, there is no "good" or
"evil".
I'm certain that from the "bad guy's" perspect they
aren't thinking of themselves as "bad" per-se. So,
they are only "bad" from the perspective of someone
who has a differing opinion. Only some enforced sense
of morality causes individuals to perform actions that
are identified as "good" to the ruling majority.
Leaving the animal of man to his own devices, there is
no "good" or "evil"...does a dog know "good" or "evil"
if he chews up your favorite pair of shoes? Only when
the ruling party enforces their opinion...namely you
the owner smacks the dog does the dog get the
impression that something it did was not
appreciated...but it still has no idea of "good" or
"evil". The concept of "good" and "evil" remain in
your realm of thinking...the dog never "gets" it. It
only identifies the pattern of punnishment and reward.

As civilization causes the human animal to become more
patterned, we reflect the norms that the community
dictates as long as an oppresive ruling party doesn't
enforce their opinions contrary to the societal norms.
One civilizations idea of "good" may be "evil" to
another civilization...yet they both may thrive on
their own merits.
So, while PC users may be depicted as "evil", from
what perspective are you making that distinction from?
From where I stand, I'm the "good" one and everyone
outside my circle of influence is "evil"!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- "Prof. David Schultz" <evil_genius_at_mac.com> wrote:
> I cant believe you set Ed up for a "PC's are so
> great" rant.
>
> DVS
> cringing
>
> On Feb 5, 2004, at 1:48 PM, Martin Joseph wrote:
> >>

> > I'm only worried about Ed actually....

=====
In 1913, Lee De Forest was prosecuted by U.S. government officials
for claiming to potential investors that his company, RCA, would soon be
able to transmit the human voice over the Atlantic Ocean. The
prosecuting officials argued that his claim was so utterly ridiculous
that he was surely ripping off investors. He was ultimately released
but not before being admonished by the judge to stop making any more
fraudulent claims.