Re: [NTLK] Bad guys use PCs

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 23:13:59 PST

* Dave Bellamy <dave_bellamy_at_mac.com> [ 5 Feb 2004 14:37]:
> while it is true that PC based stuff is cheaper in the short term,
> once you have factored in the costs of replacing components that crap
> out on you and the time you spend re-booting/ re-installing and
> generally cursing the damn thing when it all falls over

I notice everybody in this thread so far has used PC synonymously with
"Computer with Windows installed".

I use a "PC" but I haven't (voluntarily) used Windows in years. And as
for components that fail, it seems to be quite hit-and-miss, or
dependant on which manufacturer made the components.

I had a P133 from 1996 to 2002 and never had any hardware fail on me.
Once I installed linux on it, I didn't have the software issues either.
I set it up and it just worked. Now I have a 1GHz Athlon that is
approaching 2 years old, and it just works. I fully intend to use this
computer for six or more years as I did with my previous one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not averse to macs, I'm just a command-line kind
of person. (OS X makes me drool... crunchy unix insides with a lovely
gooey mac outside... best of both worlds - but I'm set up now so I'm not
going to consider it until my next computer.) I can type all day, but
using the mouse for half an hour makes my wrist beg for mercy. I do like
how durable macs are and how long they are perceived as useful. For what
most people use Windows PCs for, a five-year-old computer would be fine
- well, except that there are no more badly needed security updates for
software that will run on it.

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project