Re: [NTLK] Bad guys use PCs

From: Patrick Jendraszak (indyibook_at_insightbb.com)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 08:49:23 PST

I think that this is especially true in the PC community. I have a
small network that I administer. And I maintain a few PC desktop
systems (12) at the church where I work.

In terms of a server (I used Novell), I seem to get by with a few more
years on the server than the desktops, maybe 5 at max. That's because
it is strictly a file server.

With the PC desktops, well, after 2-3 years go by, they seem so slow if
you keep software updated. And I have stayed with "Intel Inside"
pentium business units, previously Compaqs -- although now I am moving
to IBMs since their laptops are so solid for a PC laptop, imho.

However, I have to say that I don't find the same thing true with the
Macs (4) I service. Even when running new graphics design programs
(Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, etc.) they seem quite responsive. One of
the graphics folks use a Cube (c. 2000) and the other uses a blue and
white G3, upgraded to a G4 (c. 1999, upgrade in 2001). I just think
that you are able to keep Macs up and running longer than PC's -- not
to mention that I have less problems (hardware, software, and user
consternation) with the Macs.

Just my opinion.

Patrick Jendraszak
Indianapolis, IN