Re: [NTLK] Bad guys use PCs

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 15:03:22 PST

>On 7-feb-04, at 23:12, Dan wrote:
>> Very true, the biggest pusher of upgrades is games. Word processors,
>> email
>> clients, web browser, etc will run on a Win98 system without any
>> problems.
>> And some will even run on win95 (so we are talking a few years here).
>> It is
>> all a matter of what you want to do.
>
>That would mean that it's time that Oliver Stone makes a movie about
>the great IT manager's conspiracy because why do companies keep
>upgrading their hardware?
>Just because it's written off? Hard to believe...

If you notice I said "it is all a matter on what you want to do". Companies
upgrade hardware sometimes because every second waiting for a computer is
time wasted that they could have been getting work out of a employee.
Sometimes the hardware is not really needed. Note I said "sometimes". A
secretary does not need a 1ghz machine. However, someone that is doing 3d
animation needs all the horsepower they can get. Again it is all depending
on what you want to do with the machine and if you are installing software
just because it is the latest and supposedly greatest or because you really
need it.

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html