[NTLK] Bad guys use PCs

From: vertigo_at_email.arizona.edu
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 10:48:04 PST

Yea, I have to agree with Paul about the Apple/x86 fight. Nowadays, their
hardware is not too dissimilar from Wintel boxes. PCI, AGP, IDE, etc. are all
in Apple systems. The real difference comes with the software.

In the olden days of OS 9, hobbyists were more or less up a creek. It was just
as closed off as Windows is now, and it required some serious know-how and gall
to customize or tinker in any part of it. OS X has changed a lot of that to a
large degree, simply because its a UNIX system. I can run X-Windows, which
means I can compile nearly anything available for Linux systems.

In other words, the hobbyist concept is no longer completely foreign to Apple
systems. In fact, the only core differences I see between Windows systems and
Apples is the availability of Games. For many, many people gaming is important,
and unfortunately the gaming industry has never really embraced Apple (at least
in modern times). that might be changing, however. I don't know if anyone here
has ever played Halo, but that particular gem of a game was in production for
OS X BEFORE anything else. It wasn't until Microsoft got their grubby mits into
Bungie that it became an XBox-first game.

So, unless you are jittering about waiting for Half-Life 2 to be released, there
are very few reasons I can see to chose Windows over Mac.....except for price.
Apple's gotta do better there.

More humble college student opinions...

-Evan Scott

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html