Re: [NTLK] Bad guys use PCs

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 22:59:10 PST

on 2/8/04 8:40 PM, Anil at anil_at_thisiswhatwedo.com wrote:

> I am not having a go at you, or anyone else but this talk of forced
> upgrades is totally ludicrous, that fact that you are using a Pismo is
> a testament to that. If you want the latest and the greatest, then you
> have to pay for it, as I am sure no one expects things for free.

You know, such things you are talking about are really beside the point...

First of all, my main point was that, just like in the Windoze world, Mac
users are also forced to upgrade their hardware to keep up with software
advances.

My second comment was more of pointing out that Apple has changed its policy
recently, foregoing the older policy of maintaining backwards compatibility
in their new software. In fact, they are forcing obsolescence, so saying
somebody wants to keep up. In the case of Safari, there is no technical
reason for Apple, which has vast resources, to not make the new version of
Safari 100% compatible with Jaguar, i.e. 10.2. The sole reason for not
making it compatible is marketing. Period. You can try to justify it due to
development costs, etc, but really, that doesn't fly. The only justification
that Apple has is marketing... That's financial, but on the different side
of the equation. One can look at tons of developers, both large and small,
which support multiple layers of the Mac OS. All of them, however, have a
vested interest in keeping this compatibility, for marketing reasons. Apple,
on the other hand, using a short-sighted marketing model, sees marketing
benefits in going the opposite direction, by locking out all older versions.
How old is Jaguar? Only a few months out of development! In fact, I just
downloaded several updates for Jaguar via Software Update just this past
week. Apple obviously has not stopped developing for Jaguar, except where
they consider it feasible for marketing reasons. This is a recent trend at
Apple since Jobs returned... We will see how long this continues, and I hold
to my analogy of boiling the frog. How's the water, dude? ;-)

BTW, I say short-sighted, because I am now looking seriously at Omni Web as
a replacement for Safari, and honestly speaking, I'm quite impressed...

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland