Re: [NTLK] OT cd VS Vinyl

From: mark (mark_at_imap-partners.net)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 14:28:46 PST

Len Cole wrote:

> and utlimately, many, many people unfortunately have the
> disgusting habit of abusing the "loudness" switch

\[Outburst]Well, if they have such a switch, they deserve everything they get.\[EndOutburst]

I'm wondering how many people involved in this thread have heard a well-manufactured LP of a well-made recording on a high end LP-based hifi in a good environment.

You do NOT need to be trained to notice how good it is.

Its not just (probably its not even primarily) about the fidelity of reproduction of the source. Its about enjoying and being involved in the music. For example a good LP played on a Linn LP12 through a suitable decent system is a unique experience. In terms of measured response, its not as "correct" as a lot of other "sources", but it produces THE most involving and enjoyable music of any source I know. This is very subjective, but thats the point. Ultimately, it doesn't have that much to do with stuff like error correction or distortion (within limits).

When is this thread going to get killed ? We must be sailing pretty close to the wind.

mark.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html