Re: [NTLK] Card/cable/connection: Where's the problem?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 02:33:00 PST

On Feb 22, 2004, at 12:28 AM, Jim Hill wrote:

> I picked up a cheap '589 off eBay and can't get things working. The
> card's drivers installed nicely onto my 2100 and Internet Setup let me
> pick the card out. In addition, the little green light on the card
> came
> on when it was inserted.
That all sounds right.

> However, plugging it into my network I got no lights on the front of
> the
> switch
Did you try a regular port or an uplink port? Are you sure the port on
your hub was available? Sometimes if the uplink port is occupied the
adjacent port is not available.

> and the machine that does my DHCP serving never recorded
> anything.
You aren't connected.
> In the process of fooling around (after all the preceding) I
> managed to snap the clip off the RJ45 jack on the end of the cable. No
> matter.
Hmmm, My dongle for my 589D is female.

> Anyone know how I can test the card or cable to see where the fault
> lies? Or should I write off my $12 and go get another card just to
> save
> aggravation?
Sounds like it's basically working. Another card might be nice
though...

I would try mucking with the hub/switch a but more. When the light on
the dongle comes on the hub/switch light should too.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html