[NTLK] Card/cable/connection: Where's the problem?

From: Jim Hill (jimhill_at_swcp.com)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 00:28:29 PST

I picked up a cheap '589 off eBay and can't get things working. The
card's drivers installed nicely onto my 2100 and Internet Setup let me
pick the card out. In addition, the little green light on the card came
on when it was inserted.

However, plugging it into my network I got no lights on the front of the
switch and the machine that does my DHCP serving never recorded
anything. In the process of fooling around (after all the preceding) I
managed to snap the clip off the RJ45 jack on the end of the cable. No
matter.

Anyone know how I can test the card or cable to see where the fault
lies? Or should I write off my $12 and go get another card just to save
aggravation?

Jim

--
                         jimhill_at_swcp.com
"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints;