Re: [NTLK] [OT] Economics of piracy

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 09:32:32 PST

>From: Jim Witte <jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us>
>Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 01:49:11 -0500

> > As for prirating, when a lot of the ebooks are say $4 or less, why
>> priate? When a book is say $25
>> there maybe a temptation but for $4?

> I wonder if anyone has done a study of that. One way to look at it
>is that people will say, "Oh, it's only worth $4. "They" won't mind.."
> No that I condone it, I'm just imagining how people might think..

Right on the spot. As long as something can be had for free, many people will not consider paying, most of which will even consider themselved smart doing so. It is not that they are really expressing a certain shortsightedness and promote the decay of choice and develompent of restrictive technologies, not in any way, how could they... Maybe there needs to be more and earlier education about economic concepts... :/

I think it would be a nice thing if you would get an eText of any physical book you buy along with it, but I do not see this coming, and I do not really want to register each and every book I buy.

Oliver

--
"The possibilities are endless. I love that."  - Jonathan Ive
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html