Re: [NTLK] Your experience with NewtSync and iCal?

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 11:06:59 PST

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:17:19 -0800, John Osborne wrote:
> I would love all my iCal entries to
> be sent to the Newton but I can see how this might be a syncing problem
> when the MP doesn't have the concept of multiple calendars.

With DateMan, you can file calendar entries in different folders. I
think that filing of items according to their source might be possible
quite easily, and this could be used in those programs on the Newton
that support it.

> However, I
> will mostly use the Newton as a "read-only" display of my calendar so
> having all the individual calendars in iCal merged on the Newt is fine
> by me.

I'm thinking of implementing an iCal subscribe feature for the Newton.
It should be very simple to implement. At the moment, you could mimic
this by putting your iCal data on a web server/publish it from iCal and
use Fetch URL to download it to the Inbox. From there, it can be put
away via IC/VC. These steps could be combined in a small subscription
application. Publishing is probably possible too, WebDAV is not such a
complex protocol.

I've looked into SyncML now for some time just to come to the
conclusion that it sucks. Which doesn't mean that it cannot be
implemented on the Newton. It's more the big picture which is wrong
(server support, client support, free services).

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html