Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple, Design and "Different" (Was: "Where would Newton would be today)

From: Jared Bland (jrbm689_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 13:55:18 PST

On Feb 23, 2004, at 4:26 PM, David Ensteness wrote:

>>> The Macintosh wasn't really good (OK its was always
>>> really good, but not really great) until System 7.
>>
>> If by "great" you mean unprotected memory, no true multitasking, --- i
>> could go on...
>
> You don't know much about System 7 or what came before it do you? That
> is an honest question. System 7 was a huge jump from the past versions
> of Mac OS and it changed the OS in very fundamental ways which are
> actually comparable to things like protected memory ...
>
> Course if you know anything about the history of Mac OS you also know
> why there was no protected memory or preemptive multitasking.
>
> Oh, and one should note. Cooperative multitasking may suck, but it is a
> "true" form of multitasking.

There was no multitasking. No multitasking until Mac OS X. Even 9.2
had no multitasking.
For example: If you are working on Photoshop and want to open a Finder
window, or even switch to the Finder, you had to wait until Photoshop
let the OS grab some CPU time, which almost never happened unless
(Application A) finished all issued commands.

I know what OS X employs, and it is good. I never put down OS X's
multitasking. I was talking about OS 7.

>>> Imagine what things
>>> will be like when we have 10.7.0 running on our G8s!
>>
>> With the average rate of pace 10.7 will be out in 3 years
>
> Uhm, sorta. Apple does a feature release every 12-18 months. So at
> current pace we will hit 10.7 about 2007-2008.
>
>> With the average rate of processor generation upgrades the G8 will be
>> out in 7 years, just in time for (X).1. Great, another beta.
>
> Complaining about vaporware that isn't even in the works yet? Now that
> is staying ahead of the game.

Just joking around - also the G5 name will be carried along for more
than 2 years since IBM has a full line up of processors to go under
that name, but that is off-this-off-topic-topic.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html