Re: [NTLK] Some Project Ideas for Idle Hands

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 11:03:26 PST

* MKow1234_at_aol.com <MKow1234_at_aol.com> [24 Feb 2004 10:10]:
> 1) A beaming program that allows me to send basic text documents
> between my Newton MP 2100 and my Toshiba e330 Pocket PC. My Toshiba
> Pocket PC recognizes that a Newton is attempting to contact it, but
> the message never gets transferred over.

Kind of like that program that'll let the newt talk to a palm pilot?
Can't remember the name offhand, but it'll send/receive notes, dates,
and names entries, not sure what else. I agree it's a good idea to have
the newton able to talk to newer devices. Especially if the newer
devices can't talk to each other (can palms talk to pocket PCs?)

> 2) A program that allows me to exchange more than simple text files
> between my Newton MP 2100 and my desktop PC. I want to also take
> drawings created in the Newton and transfer them to apps on my
> desktop.

That would be nice. NCU on mac can make RTF files with sketches and text
mixed; not sure if NCU on windows can, because I've never tried it.
Anybody who's used NCU/win care to comment? I'd like that for linux
too... ;-)

> 3) A nice, clean set of Newton tutorials that are NOT scattered
> across the known Internet universe. I want to learn more, but I
> usually end up having to search out several mirror sites in five
> different countries before I find what I need. Why not CONSOLIDATE
> some of the good stuff in one place?

The WikiWikiNewt is an attempt to start that, but it needs people to
fill it in. I've already added a few things on connecting the newt to
linux/unix.

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project