[NTLK] NCU conection with wireless- yes! (sort of)

From: Berthe M. Willumsen (bmw_at_biobase.dk)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 13:09:21 PST

I have lost my serial connection to NCU by installing the OSX drivers
for keyspan. When I could not get a Calendar copy off my Newtons
calendar to my Mac with any OSX program, I tried to remove the OSX
driver and reinstall in Classic, but I failed.

After getting wireless to (manual IP on Newton) work by using 128
WEP, not 40, I tried NCU:

On Newton:
Card (wireless): use card for appletalk.
prefs: appletalk: select ethernet and wireless card (thanks Robert,
for old post found in archives...).

On Mac:
Enable Appletalk in network in Sys pref, Airport; appletalk tab.

Open NCU, open preferences, tic off Appletalk...(something that
cannot be read in Classic)
On Newton tap dock, select connect via Appletalk.
Then select connect to other computer and my computer becomes visible
in this chooser, I select it and tap connect.

- and lo and behold, NCU becomes 'active' and there is connection.

sort of. I cannot select things on the Mac without NCU spectacularly
crashing; Classic needs to be restarted. If NCU is just restarted, it
and Classic needs to be force quit'ed.
But if I did things by tapping from the Newt, I could use the
keyboard, I could transfer a package, I could backup and - I could
fill dates into an empty file of the old Claris organizer!

This is a major step for me, I've been without a desktop calendar
since I moved to OSX a year ago.....

Soon I'll get to see if I can rtf a note or two from the Newt to the Mac.
Anyone know how to avoid this NCU crashing business?
Anyone understand the asymmetry - dies if initiated on the Mac
(G4PowerBook), can if initiated in the Newton? I saw a similar thing
with Escale. Is it common?

--
Berthe
Denmark, MP2100