Re: [NTLK] Asymmetry in Beaming behavior to other PDAs

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 13:51:09 PST

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:31:53 -0800, John Osborne wrote:
> If it doesn't just work from a Newton, it's
> just one more reason for the PDA crowd to dismiss the platform as "has
> been" technology.

Honestly, I don't care - at all ;). What I care more about is getting
it to work for me first, then if possible, for others with a specific
need. I'm not implementing things to prove a point.

> Because, a pocket PC (and a Palm)
> can beam to a Newton and the Newton is using irOBEX, the sending
> PocketPC must be able to use that file transfer protocol. Right? The
> failure to be able to send via the same mechanism strikes me as a bug
> in the Newton implementation of OBEX.

Unfortunately, things aren't that simple. Standards are one thing on
paper and a totally different thing when implemented. Especially when
dealing with Microsoft. They have a proven track record of getting
standards wrong, not following them at all or actively undermining
them. I'm saying this from personal and professional experience. In the
OBEX case, Microsoft is doing things differently enough to be a pain in
the back.

The other thing is that I have only a very limited set of different
devices to test with. Considering that, it's probably a miracle what is
already working. If you are serious in getting a specific device
working, send it to me. If you have an old Palm gathering dust, I'd be
glad to take a look at it before you throw it away.

> Please don't take this as
> criticism of Echkart's incredible contribution to the platform

No problem at all. There are just too many limiting factors to allow
high expectations. But your feedback is definitely appreciated!

> I'm hoping Eckhart will respond to this message and lets
> us know whether he thinks the time out problem on sending can be fixed.

I'll try to verify the sending problems to other devices with a Win2k
system. I'm not sure if that really helps though. The timeout issue
when receiving from Windows is something that is very hard to fix (the
timeout is hardcoded in the NewtonOS and would require an OS patch to
change).

Eckhart