Re: [NTLK] Finding current ebook texts?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 20:45:18 PST

>I have a large collection of current books, such as the Horatio Hornblower
>and Aubrey/Maturin series that I would like to turn into ebooks. Does
anyone
>know of a good place I could start looking to find these texts online? I've
>tried the almighty google to no avail.
>
>Colin

Well as Woody said, it depends on what you are looking for. There are
several Ebook sites and the titles they carry are often not shown on google.
Fictionwise.com, ebook.com, . baen.com, alexlit.com, among others are some
of the sites mentioned here before. I would suggest going to each site and
looking for the titles in question, if you don't find them there probably
the author does not deal in Ebooks or if they are old, probably have not
been converted to Ebooks yet. Freely available texts as well as ebooks are
available at gutenberg.net, manybooks.net, memoware.com and are good places
to start.

If you have the book you can convert it to plain text with OCR (optical
character recognition) software and a scanner. It takes awhile but
eventually you can convert it. Also scanning is not 100%, so you have to
fix errors as you go (not a lot but some here and there).

-Dan