Re: [NTLK] [OT] Problem acessing email behind firewall

From: Laurent Daudelin (Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 12:17:40 PST

On 27/02/04 15:11, "Martin Joseph" <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com> wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2004, at 10:24 AM, Norman Palardy wrote:
>

>> On Feb 27, 2004, at 11:08 AM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>>
>>> The security folks here again have strike: I can no longer use
>>> mail2web to
>>> read my personal email form behind the firewall. I can not even get my
>>> mail
>>> using the Verizon web site, so they're not only blocking some specific
>>> sites
>>> (although it could still be possible), but I think they're blocking
>>> something in the TCP/IP request.
> This seems impossible to me. SInce you are trying to read via a
> webpage, and port 80 is open, it must be something else going on.
>>>
>>> Anybody knows a workaround, besides finding another job?
>>>

>> An ssh tunnel from work over port 80 to someone who will forward that
>> to your mail will do it
> If he can't read his mail from a web page then there must be some other
> issue, since that also is port 80, presumably?
>
> You could try port scanning your incoming mail server to see which
> ports are actually open... Then if you have control of this you could
> select a (non-standard) but open one.
>
> Sort of sounds like there might just be an issue with the mail
> altogether. Maybe it will fix itself?

Thanks for the tips, guys! I already gave thought in the past of setting up
an ssh tunnel, but like I said in a subsequent email, they may just be
blocking any URL containing "mail" since the 2 links I have tried have this
string in the URL. That's why I'm looking for another service that wouldn't
have "mail" in its URL.

Thanks!

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                 Developer, Multifamily, ESO, Fannie Mae
mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com                Washington, DC, USA