Re: [NTLK] Speed upgrade.

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 20:31:29 PST

Well, I don't have the PixSolution speed-up, but I
have performed my own hack
(http://newton.tek-ed.com/newtspeed) that was
generated from information posted by others on this
list. I refined it somewhat and put up a "how-to"
page.
How does it work?
Well,if you're in the states, remember that Bacos
comercial? There's this person eating a salad and he
is proclaiming over and over about how this is the
best salad ever? He is using every euphimism known to
describe how good his salad is and how it would be
impossible for any salad to be better tasting. Then an
off-camera hand shakes a container of Bacos on the
salad and the guy takes a bite and in a small and
subdued voice, says, "it's even better!"
Well, that's how the Newton is with a speed-up!
Everything is faster, peppier and snappier.
Recognition is quicker, browsing is faster, and there
is really no real downside! And if you use
Mac-in-talk, you can use the "Fred" voice and use the
options sliders to reduce the pitch and speed and make
Fred quite normal sounding. So, there really isn't any
reason NOT to speed up your Newt.
My own personal joy in using my sped-up Newt for the
first time is similar to when I upgraded my MP120 from
OS1.2 to OS2.0...when I opened the box and wrote my
first sentence, all I could say was, now it is really
useful...
Ed
web/gadget guru
--- Anil <anil_at_thisiswhatwedo.com> wrote:
> Hi there, I have seen the "PIXsolution Group
> 'Implant-2000' for Apple
> MessagePad 2000/2100" speed upgrade. And was
> wondering if anyone had
> any experience of this upgrade, and what were the
> general thoughts
> regarding speed upgrades.
>
> I know about the normal hardware caveats, serial and
> Infra-red not
> working, and audio being sped up as well as battery
> shorter battery
> performance. I would be more interested in the
> performance difference,
> if there is any. And how it improves the Newton
> experience. I have
> heard from a friend of Paul's (of ATA driver fame),
> that it is a must
> do.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Anil.
>
> PS. for reference,
> http://www.pixsolution.com/index.htm
>

> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

=====
"The only way to get real privacy, is not to collect the information in the first place."
   'Aviel D. Rubin, the
   technical director of the Information Security Institute at Johns
   Hopkins University on the requirement that GPS location systems be added
   to "Fast-pass/EZ-pass" in-car toll devices.