Re: [NTLK] OT macworld 04 pix

From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 22:52:11 PST

On 8-Jan-04, at 11:49 PM, Nick M. wrote:

> I didn't think the keynote was so bad either, and I for one, don't mind
> paying for the iLife package. In fact I'm surprised it was free for so
> long. As my friend said "Apple is a software company. They make
> software. They then sell said software."

Apple may appear to be (finally) realizing it IS a software company.
But, for years it has given software (the Mac OS) away to sell it's
high margin Macs.
And, the iTunes store is a similar loss leader to sell high margin
iPods.

Make no mistake, if Apple really decided to be purely a software
company they'd port OS X to Intel commodity hardware and sell it like
crazy.

People would buy it. Linux as a desktop is not quite there for the mass
market.

The open source undercarriage of OS X already runs on Intel.

But I dont think they will, because they make no margin on the hardware.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html