Re: [NTLK] [NTLK][OT] macworld 04 pix

From: David M. Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 08:33:40 PST

> Maybe not forcing, but definitely not a wise move. It just leaves the
> few
> millions who made the jump to OS X with a sour taste in their mouth. I
> know
> I do.
>
> -Laurent.

No offense is meant Laurent, but what are they spose to do, most things
that Apple does really upset a very vocal group of Mac users, always.
Because we are the most loyal customers in the world we expect Apple
owes us. I don't know where Apple signed on for that. I also thing that
because of the outrageous standards that we as well as the tech
industry put on Apple they will always disappoint, because they simply
can not meet the standard that we set.

We [as a group] think Apple should give us a lot free. We move from
10.0 to 10.1 - 10.1 should be free. Oh it costs $20, that is too much,
should be free. Oh I can pick it up for free at a local Mac dealer, no,
still not enough, I have to spend money on gas, Apple should mail it to
me free.

It can get irrational at times with what we demand as a group of users.
Look at the iPod, it has a Lithium Ion battery, those [regardless of
the device they are used in] tend to last about 18 - 24 months,
sometimes less, sometimes more, anyone who has owned a laptop of any
brand can tell you that. People who buy an iPod get a one year
warrantee if they don't extend it, same as any other Apple hardware
product. I don't see anyone talking about picketing or suing Dell who
uses the same battery technology in their MP3 player as Apple. I don't
see anyone attacking Sony for using batteries that die after the
warranty is up. Yet somehow a lot of us feel we are entitled. My iPod
should simply work forever and if it doesn't Apple should compensate
me. That gets really silly, same is the case with this iLife bundle.

iLife was never free, what we have chosen to assume, and what many,
many Mac users have chosen to assume is that come the release date
[January 16th] there will be no free downloads of iPhoto or iMovie.
Apple never said that, we don't know if it will be the case or not, yet
forums everywhere are arguing about it and complaining about Apple.

That is rather irrational. We also assume that iTunes will remain free,
we do this for two reasons: first it is still available as a download
today, second we can't see Apple charging for it because it will impact
the iTunes Music Store and iPod sales negatively.

Now here is the thing, Apple did not update iTunes, the version you
download is the same version that has been out for sometime. Apple did
update iPhoto and iMovie to new versions and then pulled their old
versions. Its perfectly rational to conclude that since nothing was
said about pulling the free downloads that come the 16th they will be
available as free downloads ... but we don't assume that. We assume the
worst, because Apple likes to screw us. Or more accurately, Mac users
like to feel they are screwed by Apple. Many of the things we complain
about are never even considered as complaints in the Windows platform.
The press still mentions the PowerBook 5300 battery problems [a lab
unit started on fire and Apple recalled them], but no one remembers
that years after the 5300 Dell chose to use the same battery and had to
recall it for the same reason.

Many places on the web I would get very beat up for looking on the
brite side. I will get even more beat up if it turns out that Apple
does not offer those two products as a free download. But regardless of
whatever flaming I catch on the web, I believe my point still stands.
We assume the worst before we have any evidence to conclude the worst
so that we can justify our complaints. We do this as a group, it has
become part of the mentality of the Mac user.

As Always,

David

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html