[NTLK] Memory Cards - What is reasonable?

From: Newtopia (MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 07:26:23 PST

Ok, I have a question about memory size requirements, now that I know
what the !%@* a .sit is...

I have started slowly with MPG and shopList for a couple of reasons, I
don't want to clutter the MP's with installs that may lead to conflicts
and I only want relevant pkg's that I'll actually use. So far so good,
I'm completely enamored with MPG and so far the shopList works ok -
would actually like a different style of shopping list.

I have over a gig in SD cards and for good reason - they work in my
digital camera and in my Siemens SX56 (which I listen to .MP3's on), so
I need a lot of space. The Newton on the other hand doesn't seem to need
this magnitude of real estate. Also, I'm a little hesitant to even use
my precious 2100 because of the write cycle issue.

So here's my question... I have seen the 1/2/4 meg cards from Apple,
would they be substantial and fast enough for running some programs and
housing data or is it more suitable to use the newer PC-Cards with more
current style/size memory? Are the newer PC-Cards with the appropriate
drivers faster or slower than the original cards?

Eventually I want to use the 130 for daily use because of it's size and
the 2100 for an in-vehicle use. So the 130 will be used for shopping
lists ( I do the grocery shopping), contacts, capturing data about
potential real estate deals, e-mail, etc. The 2100 will need to back-up
the functionality of the 130, as well as the GPS & MPG.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,

Paul Curtis
MP 120 v2.0/130/2100