Re: [NTLK] OT: Wireless base stations with PPP modems

From: Michael Cox (mcox_at_cdinc.net)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 17:24:10 PST

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 07:31 pm, Jim Witte wrote:

> I know this is OT, but.. Are there any low-priced wireless base
> stations out there (802.11b) other than Airport (which isn't exactly
> low-priced, at least compared to Linksys ones) that have integrated PPP
> modems? All the others I've seen are geared toward DSL/Cable routing,
> and don't have a PPP option, unless you want to hook up another
> computer.

I am currently using a D-Link DI-704P "Residential Gateway;"
basically a 4-port router/switch with a DSL or cable modem input. The
interesting thing about this device is that it also has a serial port, which
I've hooked up to an external 56K modem (Motorola ModemSURFR, FWIW). This
setup allows me to use any computer connected to this network to initiate a
call to my dial-up ISP. The requested URL from any computer I use
automagically causes the router to force the modem to dial out (account,
password, phone number, etc. is stored in the router, accessed by a web
browser pointed to 192.168.0.1). As an added bonus, the router can act as a
network print server, as it has a parallel port. I've hooked an 802.11b
access point to one of the router's four ethernet ports to allow my Newton to
wi-fi into the network.

The wireless access point (Compaq WL400) was purchased for $25, new, on eBay
last week. I see there is a couple of auctions right now for them, around
$30US.

Here's what the set-up (browser page) looks like for dial-up PPP (kind of):

LAN IP Address 192.168.0.1
WAN Type Dial-up Network
Dial-up Telephone xxx-xxxx
Dial-up Account xxxxxxxxxx
Dial-up Password xxxxxxxxxx
Primary DNS 0.0.0.0
Secondary DNS 0.0.0.0
Maximum Idle Time 3000 seconds Auto-reconnect YES
Baud Rate 115200 bps Disable auto-dial NO
Extra Settings atm0 (turns off modem speaker)

It uses my ISP's name server for internet access, but the router has it's own
DNS for the LAN. It transfers IP numbers effortlessly to the Newton through
the access point.

HTH

mc

--
"The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -- A.E. Van Vogt, "The
Weapon Shops Of Isher", ASF December 1942