[NTLK] Joking? Who's joking? (Regarding my recent eBook swap offer.)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 02:31:44 PST

Folks, I said:

"Okay, here's the plan: You all each send me a newly made Newton eBook (in
all Newton formats + original text source, pls.) which I don't have yet,
and I'll send you one that'll never ever be available at UNNA (one that'll
be loved by all the barbarian appreciators out there - need I say more? ;=}
). Deal?"

So there comes people asking me bc if I were joking or not. Well, that's
basically a question, and maybe even a justified one, but then - I didn't
joke for Christmas, either, did I?

The whole thing goes like this:

    You send me a nice and tasty .zip or .sit which contains the original,
unaltered textsource you created your Newton eBook from, plus a .pkg for
every platform (Newton Press offers Classic, Universal, MP2-Portrait,
MP2k-Landscape, MP2k-2UP, eMate-Portrait, eMate-Landscape, emate-2UP).
    And if I don't have this book already (and I have a LOT of the stuff
that's already out there, so be sure not just to grab something somebody
else did...), you'll get the same back, just barbarian-flavored (another
hint: see my recent Christmas Craze, it's like *three* of those stories in
one book).

Deal?

*************************************
Whaddaya mean, you don't know how to make Newton ebooks for different
platforms with Newton Press?
    It's simple - grab the text (e.g. from manybooks.net, a PG mirror with
nicer interface and categorization - there's books on cooking, travel
books, books on the Wild West, American and Indian Indians, Africa,
Atlantis, China, Japan, Gardening, there's sci fi, whodunits, naval novels,
military literature, nordic sagas, religious and philosophical texts, stage
plays and poetry, and heaps and heaps of historical stuff - and there are
many other sites around with their own stuff! And if you don't care but
feel like trying this anyway, drop me a line and I'll send you an etext
that *I* would like to read ;=} ), edit it nicely in a text editor (e.g.
remove carriage returns and stuff you don't like), save as .txt and load it
into Newton Press (get it free from www.unna.org) via File/Add *or* copy &
paste it into Press. Make a nice cover page, insert page brakes at the end
of chapters (Format/Insert Page Break), create a table of contents (mark
header, click on Book/New Topic) and save the finished .np!-file.
    Then just go to Edit/Preferences, click on the Platform-tab, select the
first format ("Classic" - i.e. Mp 1x0), close tab, hit the "create"-speed
button (else use File/Create Package...), and save that package with a name
that'll contain "Classic" somewhere. Go back to the platform tab, change to
the next platform, close tab, create that package (again with a telling
name...). Go back, next platform... When done, put all the packages you
created and the text source (for future portability purposes - and the
future may be a longer time span than expected) in a folder (folder name =
Author name and book title), and create a .zip or .sit-archive (see recent
.sit-thread) from the folder and your all done!
    The multi-platform stuff and archiving is just a matter of additional
two or three minutes work, and it'll make sure *everybody* in Newtondom
will be able to enjoy your Newton eBook edition. Plus you got a nice handy
bundle to mail out, no need to ask others what version they require, no
disappointments on the recipients' side if they can't properly read the
book they had been looking forward to read!

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html