[NTLK] GPS Map Archive

From: J. Eagan Rackley (jrackley_at_electronicbingo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 11:51:29 PST

Thanks very much to Michael Briley and Yahoo maps I've just put together
a 10 megabyte 4bit map of the greater cleveland area using Yahoo, and
his wonderful instructions.

So, needless to say saving each individual map tile from Yahoo, was
exhausting, and took me forever, but my lame map program (rand McNally)
just didn't have the kind of scale that Yahoo did (Yahoo is perfect for
street names). So, here is what I'm thinking.

If we can find someone who could possibly write a script to pull down
the yahoo maps in squares (it took 4 clicks in each direction to get the
next complete tile), named tile_x_y.gif, I could convert those to PICT
format, and then load them into a map container package. All I would
need, are accurate Lat/Lon information for 3 intersections on the map,
what direction you were facing on the intersection, and I'd need to know
the exact scale of the map (unless it's done with Yahoo, and then I
could would need the 72 pixels = 1 inch size map).

Anyway, just a thought. It would be great if I were going to a
particular city, and I knew that I could just go grab on of the map
files for that city. I'd be happy to help with a project like this, and
I think it would be nifty to show off a newton that had real map
information on it:).

Along those lines, would the author of GPSMap Lite be willing to sell,
"Support Free" versions of GPSMap Pro?

Thanks,

Jrackley

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html