Re: [NTLK] GPS Map Archive

From: John Charlton (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 19:36:10 PST

Actually was looking at scripting something like this in
Perl/Applescript/GraphicConverter yesterday (or was it today...)

Anyway, my solution would have gone to Mapper, never tried GPS Lite or
otherwise. For my needs street names and a reasonable sense of
direction are sufficient. I usually pick out a large and small Yahoo
map to download and I'm off. Doing GPS on it seems like extra effort
when most corners have a street sign or two. Mapper seems like a
low-overhead solution. What benefits (apart from GPS) does GPSLite
have?

Perl can also pull up a URL, pick out the map and save it. I daresay
Java could do the same, as well as the translation to PICT grayscale.
My only bug in automation was NTK. What format does GPSLite use for its
maps?

-jc

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html