Re: [NTLK] [OT] iChat 1.0 revert problems?

From: Rick Rodman (richard.rodman_at_verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 18:04:34 PST

On Jan 19, 2004, at 2:16 AM, Jon Glass wrote:

> on 1/18/04 7:00 PM, Anil at anil_at_thisiswhatwedo.com wrote:
>
>> Hi there, I maybe a Newton newbie but I am definitely not a Mac
>> newbie,
>> so here goes. Every LaserWriter Apple has made is supported by
>> Panther,
>> so don't throw out your printer! It will work great and set-up is a
>> total breeze, and goes something like this. Plug in printer, select
>> model in Print centre, and errmm.. Just print.
>
> Yeah, thinking about it. A postscript printer is a postscript printer,
> so,
> even if they did remove the ppd files for your particular printer, you
> should still be able to print to it using a generica driver...
> However, the
> original post scared me for a moment... I have a IIg, and it also is
> only
> about halfway through its life--going strong... Printing from our
> household
> network... I would hate to lose it! :-)

I have a Laserwriter 1, and have had no success printing to it by
either Jaguar or Panther. It only has Appletalk, so I have it
connected to an older Mac running LaserWriter Bridge, which then makes
it visible on the Ethernet LAN. Mac OS 9 machines can see it and print
on it through the network, but Panther cannot. I think I can select it
in Print Center, but nothing ever comes out. (Remember that the LW1
has a non-expandable 256K of RAM.) I'd like to use the printer,
because I have a bunch of cartridges for it. Do you have some
suggestions?

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html